My marketing communications experience includes serving as a marketing director at a mid-size furniture store, as special sections manager at two Knight Ridder newspapers, and, since 2003, as an independent marketing communications writer and strategist for businesses, companies, marketing agencies, and custom publishers.
Good writing and a strong message transcend the medium. Here’s a sampling of the type of work I do:
- Concept development/marketing strategy
- Website development and copywriting
- Newsletters and e-newsletters
- Custom articles, executive bios, and profiles
- Corporate histories
- Direct mail
- Trade show materials
- White papers
- Recipe development
- Packaging materials
- Product specification sheets
- Mobile media apps
- Video scripts
- Blogging and social media
- And more
See samples of my work.
Read more about my process below.
I’ve been writing professionally for top national magazines, websites, and custom publications since 2003. I’m always game for researching a brand new topic, but my main beats are
- Wine and beer
- Food and recipe development
- Home and garden
- Lifestyle and green/simple living
- Consumer finance
See samples of my work.
My clients include
Better Homes & Gardens – BHG Garden, Deck & Landscape – Continental – Cooking Light – EatingWell – Every Day with Rachael Ray – Gardening How-To – Health – Muscle & Fitness Hers – Natural Health – Natural Home – Natural Solutions – Old-House Journal – Organic Gardening – Plenty – Pregnancy – Real Simple – Relish – Whole Living – Wine Enthusiast – Woman’s Day – Worth
Babble.com – BHG.com – FrontDoor.com – HGTV.com – HGTVPro.com – LHJ.com – Lime.com – MyRecipes.com – Plentymag.com – Portfolio.com – WineMag.com
Acura Style – Better Nutrition – Biltmore: The Magazine of Living Well – Cooking Pleasures – Costco Connection – Delicious Living – Epilepsy Advocate – Grape – GreenWise – Homeport – Kroger – Lowe’s Creative Ideas – Lowe’s Garden Club – The Rotarian – SuperLawyers – The Writer – Thrivent
I’m easy to work with, but thorough and detailed so I get it right the first time.
If you have your own process, let’s use that. If you don’t, here’s my usual M.O.
- Free consultation. We’ll have a big brainstorming session and discuss your project, goals, client/customer needs, and timeline.
- Flat rate quote. Based on our conversation, I’ll send you a written quote with flat fees for each segment of the project. No surprises for your budget!
- On-time delivery. I turn copy, plans, and reports around based on our agreed-upon deadlines, period.
- Prompt revisions. This one speaks for itself.
- Post-project availability. Got a quick question? I won’t screen your calls.
My internal process
(Skip this part if you only care about the stellar end results)
Before I begin a project, I like to talk to you in-depth about your goals for both the project and your long-term marketing strategy. What your customers and clients want, need, and expect from you. How you deliver those things. What your unique strengths are as a company, product, or service provider. Your biggest challenge and how I can help solve it.
These concepts form the foundation of my work, whether a website overhaul or a white paper. I refer to them again and again as I brainstorm solutions and craft copy, and they are the last thing I cross-check before hitting send.